Thursday, March 19, 2009

Please, draw on the walls!

Like most girls, "Little Women" was one of my first and favorite novels. I wanted to be one of the March sisters (though of course Anne of Green Gables or Rebecca of Sunnybrook farm would been equally acceptable.) I read that book over and over again (always with a box of tissues ready for the part when Beth passes away.) I watched the movie over and over again too...also with a box of tissues handy. Despite living at least a hundred years before my time, those March sisters were just soooo cool.
Since moving to this area my one wish has been to visit the Louisa May Alcott house. Today, that wish finally came true. My mom and aunt watched the girls and, with a sister and cousin along for company, I was finally able to visit the "Orchard House."
It was beautiful, it was fascinating, and surprisingly I've walked away thinking not of Louisa, but of her sister, May. Really. Shocking, I know.
May, just like Amy in the book, loved art. Her parents, wishing to foster her love for art, but unable to afford much in the way of art supplies, allowed her to draw on her bedroom walls. Beautiful pencil drawings all over the room. It was incredible! She later became a successful artist (her still life painting was chosen over Mary Cassatt's for an exhibit in the Paris Salon!) and I think that, in may ways, her parents had a lot to do with that. It has given me a lot to think about--the girls freedom to pursue what they love, the opportunity for them to be creative and how I'll support them in all their endeavors. Something I'll think about during an afternoon tea party and some Little Women paper doll cutting. Fun and tasty!

No comments: